Sunday, February 22, 2009

Back to winter wonderland

I am not sure why I thought there would be only one song that was perfectly matched to an entire experience.
Of course, New Orleans had more than one song. It was a little Retour a Vega, a little Paradise by the Dashboard Light, part Bridge Over Troubled Waters, a little bit of that old classic, American Pie. And inexplicably, but at the same time, not inexplicable at all, All You Need is Love.
We may not have sistered all of the floor joists perfectly. Some of our window headers were a little bit crooked. We cursed half the nails we drove, but in the end, those houses were built with love. Those houses will have such a legacy before their new owners even move in. To have been shareholders in that legacy, to have signed our names to the partitions and beam pockets we’d built ourselves, to have come together to create the structure, the strength base, for two entire houses…
words fail me again.

This morning, I took a twenty-minute shower in incredibly hot water, ate breakfast after the sun came up, walked around my house without an ID badge on, and used the Internet for almost an hour without waiting in line. My workboots are back in the closet. My winter jacket is waiting by the door. My watch is reset to Windsor time.
We are “home”, as of quarter of eight this morning, but this doesn’t feel like home to me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment