Friday, February 20, 2009

Well. We've made it through day three on the build site. I must say this build experience has been so very different from the build 2 years ago. 2 years ago we did siding, soffit, facia, porches, stairs, insulation etc. This time, the work is much more physical and involves so much nailing.
So, the building has been very well described below so let's move on to the Camp Hope experience.
This lovely little community has so many special little nuances.
The showers outside in the portable trailers are my most recent discovery. They have hot water unlike the ones in the school and the smell of mold and mildew is very pungent.
Today as I sat eating my breakfast, I was dreaming about what I would do to get my hands on a real glass of OJ or any juice for that matter rather than the coloured water they've been serving all week. To my delight, the Tropicana was revealed 5 minutes later! I think I now know how soldiers must feel.
The preserved packaged meals that can be heated up with a salt water solution are quite interesting for those brave enough to try one. Reminds me of what the astronauts eat in space. I'm not sure of the science behind it, but it's very interesting.
The pizza lunchables as a lunch option for packing was interesting, but I passed in lieu of a sandwich.
And yet this funny little place has some strange appeal in its sense of community.
So tonight we got to go downtown (or uptown as they say) and see a Mardi Gras parade. The streets were packed and the floats were very nice. We met some very friendly people in the crowd and enjoyed catching beads, coins and cups. Sandy caught a great hat.
Well, it's time to rest my tired arms and sleep off my fatigued muscles. Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment