Friday, February 13, 2009

Getting Ready

Getting Ready

As I awoke this morning thinking about our trip to New Orleans, I stayed a couple of extra minutes in my bed enjoying the soft flannel sheets, the cozy duvet, the reassuring hum of the furnace and the fine smelling coffee brewing in the kitchen -knowing that beginning tomorrow, the comforts I so often take for granted will not be there for a full 8 days.

I made my way past my two teenage daughters in full out battle over a pair of pants, and descended to the basement to retrieve my laundry from the screaming dryer –a signal that it just might be on its last leg. Next, I encountered a very wet basement with large puddles and a very soaked carpet, thanks to the recent winter thaw seeping down the walls. On my way back upstairs, my daughter informed me that her pop tart had fallen between the crack of the counter and the fridge and since my dear husband Jim had just left on a mini golf vacation, I would need to figure out some quick solutions before I too leave. Knowing what’s ahead in New Orleans and that the people I will meet would do anything to deal with such small problems, it was difficult to feel too sorry for myself.

So, tomorrow we board the bus for the 21 hour ride. Yeehaw!!…How will I, Ms. Fidgetty, amuse myself for that long in one position? iPod? Check. Trashy Magazines? Check. Highly recommended novel? Check. Mardi Gras beads? Check. Pillow? Absolutely!

As an alumnus of the Alternate Spring Break Trip, I learned a few tricks the first time around about how to survive the commute to the Big Easy. One of the most valuable things I learned was that no matter how much packing and preparing one does, nothing can quite ready a person for the experiences ahead. The camaraderie is just one of the many benefits of this adventure –but a very important one. The H.E.R.O. organizers began to prepare the participants weeks ago by having us attend weekly meetings to get to know each other and prepare for what we are about to experience. I’ve not yet gotten to know all of my fellow Habitat builders, but I’m confident that by the end of the trip, I will have done my best to do so.

This trip isn’t just an opportunity to give back to a community so devastated by a hurricane 3 and a half years ago, it’s an opportunity to feel great about helping, understand the unique culture of the New Orleans people including why they are determined to rebuild, and witness firsthand how young people (myself excluded) coming together can make such a difference. I’m not sure what part I’m most excited for, but perhaps a little part of me is just looking forward to living a simple life for a week without the complexities of dryers, drama filled mornings, sitting at my desk and yes, even straightening my hair!
So, away we go, all aboard and wishes for safe travels and a productive week and wonderful experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment